Saturday, July 14, 2012

The Latest News...... Kagan

So obviously it has been a long time since I last wrote, so I thought I would let you in on what's going on in the Callaway house a little at a time...




Kagan was having problems with his allergies, it was so bad he was beginning to scratch his eyes out and they were becoming swollen. So we decided to take him to an Upper Cervical chiropractor.  This isn't your normal bone crackin chiropractor, she deals mainly with your neck, your upper cervical.  Your Atlas and Axis are the very first bones in your neck and if they are out of alignment then that messes up your whole body. Anyways we took him to see her, Dr. Weaver, and she took xrays and his Atlas was out. So we began twice a week appointments until it began to stay in place. She also recommended he take local honey everyday twice a day. Since we have been doing both, he has had no problems with his allergies. Now he goes on a regular once every two weeks basis.

He has been complaining alot that his stomach hurts, so I took him to the dr and he suggested to give him Miralax everyday to soften his stools to see if that would help. He thought that maybe he was constipated and when his bowels began to move it would rub the lining of his intestine and irritate it thus making his stomach hurt. So we began Miralax. It's hard to make a child drink all of his drink in the morning, he's got things to do. Have the time I would forget or he would drink half of it then want something else later, blah blah blah.  Dr. Weaver, the chiropractor suggested we put him on a Gluten-free diet for 2 weeks to see if that helps, so thus begins our gluten free adventure......

Yesterday, Friday, was when we really started putting things into place.  I did some research on Gluten and realized this was gonna be harder than I expected. If it turns out that this helps his stomach and this is the problem then this is going to be a lifestyle change for the whole family. I can't cook two separate ways. You have to change the type of flour you use, no pasta, no breads and the list goes on. He ate a whole lotta fruit yesterday was hungry all day long. Today I went to Walmart and searched the isles for Gluten free products, man what a pain. I didn't want to buy a whole lot of foods due to lack of funds but I wanted to get enough variety for him. I did find Apple Cinnamon Chex cereal, Annie's mac and cheese, pudding, rice cakes, chips, peanut thai noodles, and rice.

Tonight was our first taste of Gluten free mac and cheese. All the kids didn't seem to mind, Chris was a no go and I would have rather the real thing but it was ok, I would eat it (but not alot)  The good thing, Kagan is on board with it and makes sure he can eat what I'm giving him. I guess he's tired of his stomach hurting.  The big kicker is gonna be VBS next week. I guess I'm gonna have to pack a snack for him to take.

Kagan has also been sleepwalking lately. Sometimes it's just him standing at his door looking around and other times it's more.  One time I caught him trying to go out the back door, which really scared me b/c if I hadn't had my door open, I wouldn't have heard him whimpering/crying, His whimpering/crying made me walk out of my bedroom only to hear the jingle bell I have hanging on the back door,  jingling. So I yelled and it made him stop. He then came back up stairs and went back to bed. Scary. We now have an alarm on that door and we plan to get alarms on the other doors as well. He's also gone down the stairs and grabbed items and then went back to his room or came in my room. It's crazy stuff.



3 comments:

Aunt Tricia said...

WOW that sleep walking thing is scary. I'll be praying for him and you.

As for gluten free stuff, I know that is a hard one. Our friend Ann is supposed to be on it and I know what a pain it is. My Chiropractor preaches no wheat or dairy. Also no sugar, nothing processed. When I eat that way I do feel lots better in every way.

Maybe we all need to change our eating habits, I know we would all feel better and probably shed a few pounds along the way.

Hang in there, I'll start looking out for ways to help you in this journey.

YAY for blogging again, I know it is a pain, but we love to hear from you.

You are loved....

Unknown said...

Check out Bob's Red Mill, they have a lot of gluten free products - baking mixes and such. I don't know which retailers might carry them other than health food stores, but if you can't find any near you, you can order from their website. They also have lots of recipes on their website which might help, it is a big life change going to a gluten free diet!
Good luck, I hope Kagan feels better soon!!

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Craziness that Kagan sleep walks!!!

Yay for local honey and all it's magic. I'm so on board with things like that.

Can't get over how much your oldest looks like his daddy!

So glad you're blogging again. Your kiddos will thank you for it one day... I'm thanking you for it today. :)