Friday, April 15, 2011

On April 10, 2011, the Callaway Clan became a little bigger

On April 9th at 11:15 pm I had just told Chris how done I was with the Braxton Hicks contractions, I barely got that out of my mouth and felt a big gush. I flew out of bed, for fear of getting it on the bed, and told Chris my water just broke, to which he replied "That's awesome!!" As I sat on the toilet, Chris and momma proceeded to call the doctor and get the rest of our stuff together. At this point I was having some contractions but nothing too bad. Once we got our stuff together, I gave Andrea last minute instructions for the kids and off we went to the hospital. I could feel my contractions getting harder but not consistent. As we entered the ER they were waiting for me and wheeled me to the Maternity Ward. I got changed and was hooked up to the monitors. When the nurse checked me I was 4cm dilated, so began the waiting game.



Look at that gut




As usual the contractions continued to get harder and harder. Before I could receive my epidural (yes I am not a hero nor do I try to be, so I opt for no pain), I had to have a full bag of fluids. Around 2-2:30am I received my epidural. I pushed through two contractions and at 4:16am our Garner Matthan arrived. He came so fast, his face was bruised and halfway through pushing I had to stop because his shoulders got stuck and Dr. Castillion had to rotate them, along with pushing his hand back in so he could come out. He weighed a whopping 9lbs 7oz and was 22 in long. Chris and Memee were there to welcome him into the world.




the proud daddy










proud Memee




first feeding





getting his footprints in "The Foot Book"





Garner's first bath:

Now with the other two kids I never got to see their "first baths" because

the always took them out of the room. At this hospital they did everything

in the room (besides the circumcision), which was nice to see.





After his bath he had to lay in the incubator to raise and maintain his body heat for about 30 mins or until it reaches normal temp.







Dr. Cleveland checking him out



The kids stayed with Andrea at the house then once everyone got up and dressed, Chris' parents picked them up and brought them to meet their new baby brother, both wearing their big brother and big sister shirts and bringing "Patch" the puppy they made for him at Build-a-Bear


I was told Kagan could not wait to get to the hospital to meet Garner. He kept asking when they were leaving and why they weren't leaving now. He was very excited.
















Mamaw meeting Garner



Aunt Andrea



Papaw





As you can see, Garner's bruising was almost gone by the end of the first day. When we left the hospital he weighed 9lbs 2oz. One thing about Garner, he was born with a 6th finger/digit, which we will have to have removed. Luckily it didn't contain any bone so they can remove it in the pediatricians office. That's another post......

4 comments:

Aunt Tricia said...

You did GREAT!! He looks so different from the other two. God is awesome ~ no two are alike, I love that! He is precious, can't wait to hold him! 6 more days!

Love U

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Hooray! This was such a fun post, and I really enjoyed seeing all the photos. I'm so happy for you that your sweet little man is here. I agree with Mom... he looks different than Kagan and Adaline, but I still see resemblances of you and your dad. Hopefully we can talk soon, I'd love to get your thoughts on who you think he looks like!

What a great idea to put his prints in the foot book! Was that your idea or the hospital's? Either way, I love it... and might steal it one day if we ever have a little one. :)

Lots of love to the Callaway Five!

Pyles of Blessings said...

Welcome little Garner! Can't wait to meet you!
What a great post!! Thank you for sharing with us! We love you all! Congratulations and God Bless your sweet family!

The Lourceys said...

I forgot that you did that with The Foot Book! What a great idea!

He is precious and we are so sad we haven't met him yet! Jane and I want to come over one weekend while Rob's working.